Monday, October 22, 2012

Here kitty, kitty!

I love cats, and so I was really excited when I was asked to make a cat cake for a darling little girl's birthday.  And not only was there a mama cat, we needed 48 kitten cupcakes to go with her! That's one busy kitty!!

So I went ahead and baked two 8" rounds, a 4" round, and two cupcakes to make the mama cat.  I sliced the cupcakes in half and used them as the kitty's cheeks and cut two triangles out of the 4" round for her ears.  I filled and frosted the main cake then placed the cupcake cheeks on top.  Then, using lollipop sticks I secured the ears. I used star tip 16 and iced the cheeks with white stars.  Then using the grass tip, I frosted the rest of her face and ears.  Boy was that fun! I need to find more excuses to use that grass tip... Her inner ears, nose, tongue and eyes were made from melted chocolate.  Whiskers were royal icing.

The cupcakes were a hoot.. I used a #21 decorating tip to swirl the cheek and a #22 to make the fur.  Though I'm sure any star tips would work. The first couple of cupcakes were a little rough, but I soon figured out what I wanted.  Again the eyes were chocolate and the whiskers were royal icing (I had made all the whiskers the night before so they would be stiff in the morning).

Anyway, I'm really happy with the outcome!  Now I want to make cat cakes for everyone!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment